According to Healthy Minds Policy Initiative, Oklahoma has taken a pioneering step as the first state to fully adopt the Certified Community Behavioral Health Centers (CCBHCs) model, demonstrating a commitment to transformative approaches in delivering community mental health care to its residents. Oklahoma’s adoption of the CCBHC model includes 13 CCBHCs serving all 77 counties. These clinics are transforming lives and fortifying the resilience of our communities.
What is a CCBHC?
A Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic (CCBHC) is a specially designated facility offering an extensive array of mental health and substance use services. CCBHCs welcome anyone seeking assistance, irrespective of their diagnosis or insurance status. CCBHCs are mandated to offer care for mental health or substance use to anyone who seeks it, irrespective of their ability to pay, place of residence, or age, including developmentally appropriate care for children and youth. The CCBHC model tackles funding gaps by compensating clinics at a Medicaid rate that covers the costs of expanding service lines and catering to new consumers.
- Crisis Services
- Treatment Planning
- Screening, Assessment, Diagnosis & Risk Assessment
- Outpatient Mental Health & Substance Use Services
- Targeted Case Management
- Outpatient Primary Care Screening and Monitoring
- Community-Based Mental Health Care for Veterans
- Peer, Family Support & Counselor Services
- Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services
Though the criteria for meeting CCBHC is stringent, it allows federal funding to support the costs of expanding services in their communities.
Oklahoma’s CCBHC Adoption
The majority of Oklahomans grappling with severe mental health issues receive assistance through the community mental health system. Unlike confining inpatient settings such as psychiatric hospitals, these services are locally provided within the community. Oklahoma’s community mental health system delivers comprehensive mental health and substance use care to individuals without discrimination
CCBHCs adopt a no-wrong-door approach, ensuring that individuals seeking behavioral health services are never turned away. While these clinics are open to everyone, they notably function as a safety net for mental health care, particularly for those who lack access elsewhere. Many individuals benefiting from CCBHC services are covered by Medicaid, as opposed to employer-sponsored or commercial health plans.
The adoption of the CCBHC model has not only expanded the access to care but has shown significant cost savings for the state of Oklahoma. One of the greatest impacts has been issuing MyCare Technologies tablets to law enforcement agencies. The MyCare tablets connect officers to treatment providers at local CCBHCs – day or night – to access the appropriate treatment protocol for someone experiencing a mental health or substance use crisis. As a crisis intervention tool, MyCare saves law enforcement time and money.
The fusion of physical and behavioral health services holds the promise of enhancing health results and cutting down expenses for individuals requiring behavioral health care.
Increasing CCBHC Efficiency with MyCare
MyCare Technologies contributes to the efficiency of a CCBHC by streamlining processes, enhancing communication, and improving overall care delivery. CCBHCs are able to facilitate telehealth services through the MyCare app, a HIPPA-compliant platform.
MyCare integrates with electronic health records (EHRs), giving clinicians a safe and secure means of sending documentations, assessments, and assignments virtually. This is particularly important for those living in rural areas who are in need of mental health services. MyCare allows clinicians to connect with clients remotely, and in doing so helps expand access and improve overall efficiency.
MyCare is used throughout all CCBHCs in Oklahoma, and has been shown to be efficient in the following ways:
- Centralized Information Management- MyCare Technologies provide a centralized platform for managing patient information, treatment plans, and electronic health records. This reduces the need for paper-based records and ensures that all relevant data is easily accessible in one place.
- Integrated Electronic Health Records (EHR)- Integration with EHR systems allows for seamless access to patient records. Clinicians can quickly retrieve and update information, reducing duplication of efforts and minimizing the risk of errors associated with manual data entry.
- Telehealth Services- MyCare is HIPAA-compliant, allowing patients, providers, law enforcement and more reach a The importancereaches those in rural communities who are in need of behavioral health services.
- Appointment Scheduling and Reminders- The appointment scheduling feature helps in managing and optimizing clinician schedules. Automated reminders can reduce no-show rates and ensure that patients attend appointments, leading to better time management for staff.
- Care Coordination Tools- MyCare can facilitate real-time updates on patient progress, ensuring that everyone involved is on the same page.
- Patient Engagement and Education- MyCare includes features that engage patients in their own care, such as providing access to educational resources, treatment plans, and secure messaging with healthcare providers. Informed and engaged patients are more likely to adhere to their treatment plans.
- Data Analytics and Reporting- MyCare Technologies is equipped with analytics and reporting tools. CCBHCs can leverage these features to gather insights into patient outcomes, clinic performance, and resource utilization, allowing for data-driven decision-making and continuous improvement.
- Mobile Accessibility- Enables clinicians and patients to access the platform from mobile devices.
- Task Automation: MyCare can automate routine tasks such as appointment reminders, prescription refills, and follow-up communications.
- Security and Compliance- MyCare Technologies prioritize security and compliance with healthcare regulations. This ensures that patient data is protected and that the CCBHC adheres to relevant privacy and security standards, reducing the risk of breaches and legal issues.